People who are narcissists feel as if they are the most important people in the world. They crave for attention from others and want to be admired. They are in love with themselves in an egoistic way.
It isn’t easy to be in a relationship with such people. It can affect not only your emotional state, but it can harm your brain, as well. Narcissists can barely maintain relationships with people around them, including even their family members.
How to know if you are in a relationship with an abusive narcissist? Below is a list of signs which prove it.
- They always turn the conversation to themselves. It doesn’t matter what topic you are talking about, abusive narcissists will change it in such a way that you would start talking about them. They can praise themselves and list all their accomplishments so that they would look more successful than others. Abusive narcissists don’t listen to other people’s opinions. They make every subject about themselves.
- They don’t show any empathy. Abusive narcissists don’t understand how others are feeling. When you are feeling sad, they would simply tell you to chill out. They don’t understand that besides their emotions, other people feel something, too. It can cause extreme problems in a relationship as being able to talk and understand each other’s feelings is extremely important when it comes to romantic relationships.
- They were charming at first but quickly changed. Abusive narcissists usually behave quite nice in the beginning of a relationship. But as more time passes, they start to see negative qualities in you and tease you about them. They can even make you feel bad about yourself and lower your self-esteem.
- They can’t keep long-term friendships. Some people have friends from their childhood with who they still communicate even if they have moved away and don’t see each other that often. However, that is not the case when it comes to abusive narcissists. They constantly gossip about people and that’s why they have one or two friends only.
- They think they are always right and they never apologize. Abusive narcissists will never compromise with you. They always want to have things their own way. They are too focused on their own needs and don’t care what others want. Even if they know that they are wrong, they will still try to make you believe that they are right. In addition, they rarely apologize as they don’t believe that it is their fault since in their minds they never make mistakes.